Complaints about care

It may happen that you are not satisfied with the care provided by your specialised HIV doctor, HIV nurse, or any other healthcare provider or professional. Or, for instance, if an occupational health officer or company doctor does not adhere to professional secrecy, or if your dentist treats you differently because of your HIV status.

In brief:

  • Talk to someone about an unpleasant experience.
  • When in doubt, ask for a second opinion.
  • You can always file a complaint.
  • Make sure you know what you want to achieve with the complaint

Take action after an unpleasant experience

Don't carry on feeling uncomfortable, but start a conversation. You always have the right to a second opinion, or to file a complaint.

It's up to you to:

  • discuss your complaint with the person concerned;
  • look for someone who can offer you better care;
  • obtain information from another doctor, for a so-called second opinion;
  • submit a complaint to a complaints officer;
  • report your complaint to the Servicepunt van de Hiv Vereniging (Service Desk at the Dutch HIV Association);
  • or leave it as it is.


Start by talking to your healthcare provider. Tell your story and ask for your questions to be answered. Perhaps explanation and clarification by both parties will be enough. If you find it difficult to talk to your healthcare provider directly, you could see if there is a complaints officer within the institution who could help you. Prepare for the interview, and write down exactly what your complaint is.

Filing a complaint

According to the Healthcare Quality, Complaints and Disputes Act (Wkkgz) – healthcare institutions and healthcare providers must have a written complaints procedure. This protects the position of both the patient and the client. Inform yourself on which regulation applies to your situation.

What do you want to achieve with your complaint?

Determine for yourself what exactly you have in mind and what you want to achieve. For example, think about one of the following goals and decide what is the most logical route you could follow. You want, for instance:

If this does not have the desired result, proceed via the Geschillencommissie Zorg or the civiele rechter (both in Dutch).

This information is useful

Read also

Right to care when not insured?


Side effects


HIV and other conditions